Hot dog!

His first molar cut through a week ago. He'll be 18 months in two weeks. Nearly a man.


It is time.


``Where are you taking him?'' his mother asks.


``Hot Dog Heaven,'' I say.


His first dog.


``Do you have to?'' she says.


``Yes.''



``Hot dogs are yuck.''


``Hot dogs are heavenly,'' I say. ``And one should never stand between a father and son and two hot dogs.''


We're veteran combatants in the hot dog wars, she and I. We know each others' weaknesses.


She backs off. She offers a little parting wisdom: ``They're the No. 1 choking hazard. You have to cut it up into pieces.''


I grab my wallet. He grabs his binkie. We're out the door.


Minutes later, we're strutting down Lark Street, just two guys on the loose on a perfect day. It's lunch time. People in colorful spring clothes spill out of buildings like gum balls. A hot dog would be perfect about now.


I turn to him.


``Want a dog?''


``Woof,'' he responds.


``Not that kind of dog,'' I say. In the world of hot dog consumption, he's still green, an amateur. But not for long.


We walk through the cavernous entrance of Hot Dog Heaven and set up perch on a stool at the counter, he on my lap.


``One 'Lil Pup plain and one Big Dog with the works,'' I say to the cook by the grill. ``And some fries and a Coke.''


We settle in. We take in the smell of grilling dogs. On a street that has hipper-than-thou tendencies, Hot Dog Heaven is homespun and delightfully uncomplicated.


The other stools are filling with construction guys, a business-executive type and a couple Lark Street lollygaggers like ourselves.


The food arrives. I hand him his. He's never seen one before. He grabs it, both hands. He inspects it from all angles. He's got a confused look on his face. He's probably wondering where its wheels are.


I break off a piece for him and he works it over with his new molar.


``Ummmm,'' he says.


``Hot dogs,'' I say.


``Woof,'' he says.


Exactly.


We woof it all down. Hot Dog Heaven gives good dog. We get a piece of apple pie to go and share it out on a stoop. It all costs $8.05.


A half-hour later he's in his crib, fast asleep, the sleep of the just.


``He loves hot dogs,'' I whisper to his mother. (This may or may not mean anything. It was only two days before when he tried to eat a tulip.)


Hot Dog Heaven has other foods, too -- sandwiches, soups, even breakfast. It's all tasty.


But nothing beats a dog.


Woof!

Comments

Popular Posts